Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Integrety

What is Integrity? I looked it up in the dictionary:


in·teg·ri·ty
   /ɪnˈtɛgrɪti/ Show Spelled[in-teg-ri-tee] Show IPA
–noun
1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.


Fine. The real question is how much integrity does someone have. Surely no one has 100% integrity and no one is pure evil (not even W). I've decided you can see someone's integrity when they choose to do the "right" thing even when its hard and they have every incentive to do the wrong thing ...

Recently, I've been doing more management tasks. I came to the realization that one of my employees isn't progressing, but is doing enough to get by. I could easily do nothing and string them along doing my "bitch" work. They would probably do it for years without saying anything. However, this nagging voice kept whispering to me (if someone knows how to turn it off please let me know.). I ended up having the "hard talk" with them. Basically the kick them in the ass talk (I've also heard it referred to as the "come to jesus" talk. I don't really get the reference. it sounds cool.). Any way I think it was hard to have the talk, but it required more integrity than doing nothing. If thought it doesn't feel like it, I think that's a good thing. Right?

No comments: